SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
secsteve

Buy or Fix?

secsteve
17 years ago

I have a 1997 Honda Accord which had been making a rattling noise. I took it to the dealer and was told: "Outer CV Boots are ripped (joints are bd) recommend replacing both right and left axles, lower ball joints and an alignment". Also, the battery would need replacing. Total cost would be

$755.00

The car has 131230 miles on it and this is the first major repair to come along. I paid the car off in 1998 so no car payments anymore which I really like.

I know this is a major replacement and am wondering if it's a good idea to just bite the bullet and shell out the 755 or consider getting a new/used car? On one hand I don't relish the thought of car payments, but on the other realize I'm at the diminishing returns point. They have a used Accord, two previous owners with only 7,637 miles on it for $20,490.00 I've checked both Edmunds and KBB and according Edmunds it's $93 more then they recommend but the right price according to KBB.

They also have two new civics for $18,355 and 19,305 respectively. The Accord and the Civic for 19305 both have stick shifts which I prefer to an automatic.

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus