Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
switching tires to another car?

Posted by rob333 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 8:48

I have a really old Miata, 23 years old! that I just put new tires on and now the transmission is finally dying. I am looking at a Honda Civic. How different can the tires be and it still be ok?

Miata 185/60R/14

Honda 185/65R/14

Could this work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: switching tires to another car?

You may buy a used civic with worn tires? Why not buy a different car with "good" tires? So u are going to keep miata with no wheels? Put car on blocks? Or swap rims from civic to miata? Are miata tires all season? Summer only? Just cuz they are new, does not mean they are well suited to your year round driving intentions of civic?

o

Because I am going to quit driving the Miata (transmission is dying, which it said above) and get the Honda (1999, so it's used, obviously!) up to speed. Why would I buy all new tires all over again, when it's only off by 5mm? Do you always buy a car with all new stuff on it??? Because I am more than willing, and capable, to do it myself. When I buy new tires on down the road, I'll upgrade to the exact tire. I can't imagine 5mm should matter. I'm not talking about going from a 185 to a 175. That would be a whole nuther ball game.

o

The diameter of the Miata tire is 22.740 in.
The diameter of the Honda tire is 23.468 in.
The difference is 0.728 in or 18.491 mm. This is greater than the presumed 5 mm although it is not large.

The ratio between the two diameters is 22.740/23.468 or 0.969 which is about 97%.

If you put the Miata tires on the Honda, you could expect the Honda speedometer to read about 3% fast. At a true speed of 60 mph, the speedometer would indicate about 61.9 mph provided the speedometer reads true in the first place. Also, the mileage registered by the odometer will be about 3% high. In other words, after traveling 1 mile, the odometer will have advanced 1.03 miles. This differnce is small and one can expect these differences to increase a little as the tires wear down.

Both tires have the same width therefore there should be no interference problem with the front wheels turned to maximum steering effort.

One caveat: A few years later when these tires need replacing, wiil you remember it has the wrong sized tires on it and will you remember what the correct size is? A note in the glove box may help.

o

I learned a long time ago not to trust the tires on a car if I haven't put them on myself. I always buy tires based on the car's make/model/year rather than trust what is on them. More than once, some well meaning soul who is helping me with my car, e.g. husband, will replace them with something different. Why? Dunno. I just won't do it. Thanks for the info! (it turns out, when my bro heard about me buying a car, he said he'd do the transmission work for me for free. So I didn't get the Honda. Dang. I still won't have a heater this winter. Oh well. Glad I live in TN and not ND!).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here