Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Car Buying Guides and Reviews

Posted by secsteve (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 15, 07 at 8:23

I'm wondering just how much stock people put in car buying guides and reviews.

A friend has been considering buying a 2007 Honda Civic or Accord and checked out KBB and Edmunds. Then she started reading the customer reviews and now is wondering if she should buy. Seems some of the reviews were very negative while others positive.

I told her basically the reviews were there to give her an idea and not to put so much stock in them. She's especially bothered by the negative ones (on both Civics and Accords). As with anything else, each person's experience will vary. My own experience with Honda's has always been positive and

Has anyone else paid attention to the customer reviews? I found when buying my 1997 Accord, they were helpful, but I didn't rely solely on them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Car Buying Guides and Reviews

You have the right approach: use customer reviews as data points, not as gospel. The trouble is that unhappy customers are far more vocal than happy (or at least satisfied) customers. And computers make it easy for especially unhappy someones to cut-and-paste the same negative review into several different sites.

I'm also leery of reviews made after just a few days/weeks of ownership. That's not long enough to determine some important characteristics of a product.

OTOH, reading reviews from people who've spent a few years with a product and who have encountered similar problems certainly can be useful in figuring if there are more questions that should be asked or models/engines/etc. to be avoided.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here