Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
power door lock switch problem

Posted by jasper_60103 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 19, 06 at 8:18

I have a 95' chevy lumina sedan.
Heres my problem.

The power door lock switch unlocks all the doors, except for the passenger side door.
The switch will lock the door, but won't unlock it.

I can hear the switch click, but something in the mechanics is broken, and won't unlock the door.
FYI, the door does unlock manually.

I haven't ventured inside my door panel yet. I thought I would ask for some advice first.

Can someone tell me how to go about fixing it?
Do I need any parts or special tools?

thanks,

jasper

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: power door lock switch problem

Not that familiar with that particular vehicle but most units do require that the key fob to be pressed twice, the first time unlocks the drivers door and then the second time unlocks the passenger door. You are probably well aware of that, just wanted to bring that out before someone else mentions it. Now if we know this to be a mechanical issue, pull the panel and replace the solenoid and actuator plus thoroughly lubricate all pivot points and you should be good to go. Note: you might get away with simply lubricating the pivot points and closely examining the parts for wear and binding sometimes the linkage can be bent especially if the car has had body damage and repair to the door area. Good Luck

o

I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than I would respond. I suspect the problem is with the switch in the door, too; on VWs it's a somewhat-well-known issue that a little microswitch in the door fails and that can cause locking/unlocking/alarm arming problems. It's a $3 switch and pretty much a DIY repair if you're at all mechanical. It's much more expensive if you let a dealer fish around for the problem.

o

yeah, I've been living with the problem for years since I didn't want to pay too much to fix it.
I think I can figure things out once i see it.
My worst fear would be not being able to get the door panel back on right.

thanks dnt1 and steve.

-jasper

o

My 02 Camry had/has the same affliction. Under warranty the first time they said it would have been $600 to fix. Now out of warranty another door has a sticky switch again. I am NOT paying $600 to repair it. Sometimes it actually works and sometimes it sticks. It seams to fail more when its wet out...not sure why. If I had the guts I'd pop off the door panel and take a look but I am afraid I'd make matters worse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here