Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2000 Chevrolet S-10 slow start

Posted by chevytim80 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 29, 07 at 1:04

I have a 2000 Chevrolet S-10 that I have owned for 2 and a half years now, and in that time, evertime I get below 1/4 a tank of fuel it is slower to crank than usual when cold. When it warms up it has no problems at all. Now, all of a sudden, it has an extremely hard time cranking when cold and low of fuel and when it does actually try and fire off it is almost as if it is only running on a 2 of its four cylinders then dies. Then when it finally cranks, it runs beautifully, no lag in motor, no rough running, easy to crank over and over again while the motor is warm or right after cranking right. I know of two problems that have existed since before my ownership and I have neglected to fix. The first is the radiator has been hit from underneath and leakes from the passenger side of the tank and leaks down on my air pump that is suppose to pump fresh air into the exhaust making my check engine soon light illuminate. The second are BADLY worn rotors that make the front end shake during normal braking when the pads start to thin (doesn't take long). I have changed the oil regularly and gave it all new plugs and wires. Any ideas on the cause of the hard starts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2000 Chevrolet S-10 slow start

Fuel pump / Fuel pressure?

Battery low on charge capacity?

o
RE: 2000 Chevrolet S-10 slow start

It looks as though the gas gauge is faulty. The truck would not crank at all, even though it registered in between empty and 1/4 of a tank of gas. I took the gas cap off and had someone turn the key to the on position over and over again the I could hear the pump try to suck gas but sounded as though it only had a tiny bit on the bottom of the tank or was unable to access the gas on the bottom of the tank. So, I put a couple of gallons of gas in the tank and it fired right off. I know that the 80's model Chevrolets have similar problems with the gas gauges, I personally have a couple of them that when you get to 1/4 of a tank you are out of gas, however, is this still a common issue with a vehicle this new or could their possibly be something else?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here