SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patrice607

Used car nightmare - Any recourse??

patrice607
17 years ago

My teen-age son recently bought an '87 Dodge Shelby Daytona for $1900.00. He was looking for a project car that he could drivd back and forth to school. The car started leaking gas on the way home. He called the seller and asked to rescind the sale. No luck. The mechanic fixed the fuel line leak but told us that the bottom of the car was so rusted that he had to put it on the drive up or the lift would go right thru the car. There is a hole the size of a baskcetball in the floor boards. On top of that, the guy sold it on open title - he didn't sign it. I called the local police and they are aware of this guy and say he always has a car for sale in his drive and probably sells them open title so he doesn't have to buy a dealers license or pay tax. We sent written notice that we wanted to rescind the sale. We had a lawyer call and ask for a recision based on the unsafe condition of the car, the open title and the fact that the odometer wasn't working and he didn't tell us. We are complaining to the secretary of state, the attorney general's office and thinking of pursuing this in small claims court.

Would appreciate any advice!

I know, Buyer Beware! This was my son's first attempt to do a deal on his own and now I know he has more enthusiasm that knowledge. Lesson learned....

Comments (34)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County