SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mileena3

Replacing Chevy Belt Tensioner

mileena3
18 years ago

Hey everyone,

I have a 91 Chevy Cavalier 4-door sedan (4 cylinder) with 190,000 miles on it. All of a sudden, after starting the car, I heard a loud squealing. I checked under the hood, and the serpentine belt is very slack. I used a 15 mm wrench to adjust the idler pulley upwards, to make the belt tight, but merely pressing down on the belt with my hand makes the pulley go back down again, and the belt becomes loose. The belt itself appears fine. I guess I need a new belt tensioner??

Just an FYI: on my car, the belt connects the crankshaft pulley, water pump, alternator, power steering pump, and idler pulley. The idler pulley is held in place by one 15 mm bold, and it is supposed to tension the belt

automatically. Up to now, it has.

After consulting the offical Chevy shop manual, it appears that replacing the tensioner is an easy fix. Just remove the belt, PS pump, and loosen two alternator bolts. I have done quite a bit of work on my car myself, such as replacing tie rod ends, rear springs, valve cover gasket, water pump, radiator, brake calipers, brake lines, etc., so this does not worry me.

I am worried, however, that the PS pulley have to be removed to access the PS pump bolts. The pulley is rather large. It's dark out now, so I can't tell for sure, but it appears I will have to remove the pulley to access the bolts?? Can I still leave the hoses attached so I don't have to bleed?

Is there a temp fix I can use just to make my car driveable, so I can get to the parts store?

I suppose if all the pulleys suddenly stopped turning while driving, the only harm would be the coolant not circulating, and the consequent overheating, right? As well as the draining of the battery, although I have a professional charger for that.

Thanks for any help!

Julie

Comments (6)

Sponsored