Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coolant Leak

Posted by mrocklesnar (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 3, 06 at 21:35

I have a coolant leak on my 94 Chevy Berretta. 2 weeks ago I noticed the meter on the dashboard said low. I filled it up with new coolant and everything was ok, but only for a couple days and it was back to low. I igonored it for about a week, now today I see lots of green coolant leaking out the bottom of my car. As it turns out Im going to be selling this car soon in a matter of weeks anyway... What should I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coolant Leak

just filled up coolant tank with water... doesnt seem to be draining or leaking. sorry i dont know too much about cars.

o

Find out where the coolant is coming from. Look around the hoses and see if they are showing any wettness. If it is not coming from the hoses or the radiator I strongly suspect the waterpump. When waterpumps go bad they get worse in a hurry, your statement about alot of coolant under the car makes me think the pump is going out. They can run around $300.00 to fix depending on how hard it is to replace.

o

If not the water pump, had a 1994 dodge shadow that sprung a leak in the head gasket that made a very small stream of water, but only when it was hot and it was over the exhaust mainfold that would dry it up pretty fast so it was hard to ever find.

o

i looked under the hood, but i dont see the leak, but that could be because i dont know what im doing. i do recall my mechanic saying i had a crack in my radiator back about 6 months ago, and he used some liquid metal to patch it. so im guessing that could be it.

a friend told me it might be good to get something called "stopleak" from an autoparts store for about $5. pour this into the radiator when the car has been off for a couple of hours and it should temporarily fix this. but i dont know if it is a radiator problem.

and like i said im just looking to get by for now on this car, by the end of this month i will be buying a new car. any feedback is much appreciated.

o

IMO, best to sell this car "as is", BUT be so kind as to completely divulge its condition and repair history, or lack thereof...
You are wasting money(a little) by using this stop-leak, and doing the next owner no favor....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here