Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nissan Maxima - Mass Air Flow Sensor

Posted by ggalv (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 12, 09 at 21:25

This car was over heating and then kind of loosing power. Then it turned off. My friend said that the problem might be the mass air flow sensor - that if this does not work then it might get the car to overheat. When this sensor was disconnected the car would run but then after awhile the car would turn off. When we connected the sensor then the car would not start.

Right now the car turns on with the sensor connected and disconnected but it will not go far before the car turns off.

Do you guys think the problem on the car is the Mass Air Flow Sensor?

THANKS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nissan Maxima - Mass Air Flow Sensor

It could be the mass air flow sensor, and then it could be something else. We're just guessing, aren't we. As a start, pull the trouble codes to see what the engine controller (computer) is complaining about. Mind you, this is only the start of diagnosing the problem.

If you don't have access to a code reader, look in your owner's manual to see if there is a method for extracting the codes by turning the ignition key on and off in a particular sequence.

The engine may start with a bad mass air flow sensor, but it won't run well and will not have any power - it won't be driveable.

o

The problem at the moment is that at least one of the trouble codes is going to show that the computer is recognizing a problem where the MAF sensor circuit is open.

When people start unplugging things before correct testing commences, they add problems for a technician to have to consider. The whole premise which started with the vehicle overheating, and then quitting, and then the inconsistent operation somewhat dependent of whether the sensor is connected or not, is exactly the kind of a reported set of conditions where as a technician I cannot rely on them to aid me in my diagnostics. In fact, a condition that I call tainted intuition where a technician gets pushed the wrong direction at the onset of the diagnostic routine because of faulty information could easily occur with the description of the trouble as outlined in the original post.

o

Engine overheating. Is the electric fan working?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here