Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coolant for Honda Accord 96

Posted by ggalv (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 12, 09 at 21:13

Below the hood on my car it has a label that I should used Honda Recommended 50/50 solution coolant. It mentions that I should not dilute coolant.

What does this mean? So I can't buy the Prestone anti-freeze and mix it with water myself?

Appreciate your help. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coolant for Honda Accord 96

You can use over the counter coolant, but the water pump seals may fail early. I recall something about Honda recommending a non-silicate antifreeze. I know that for their motorcycles (the water cooled ones), a silicate bearing antifreeze will cause failure of the water pump seals. I don't know if the same is true for Honda's auto engines, but I suspect that it is.

Much of third party antifreeze has silicates. Read the label carefully. If it does not mention silicate-free, assume there is silicate in the jug.

The label on your car refers to a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water, and it says do not dilute that mixture. A 50/50 mix produces the lowest freezing point, so you don't want to change that. The label apparently is refering to coolant that is already mixed 50/50.

Use google to search the internet to see if you can find more information about Honda's antifreeze. Some time ago, the magazine, "Motor Cycle Consumer News" published complaints of owners of Honda Gold Wings reporting failures of water pumps. These failures consistently happened after the owners changed their coolants. An investigation by techs for the magazine pointed to silicates in the antifreeze.

Although this is not a definitive study, my personal experience has been that my automotive water pump seals do last longer when I use only non-silicate antifreeze.

o
RE: Coolant for Honda Accord 96

Nice job Jem, you are correct about the low silicate requirement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here