Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2002 Ford explorer XLS brake lights won't go out

Posted by Sharon620 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 10, 05 at 20:57

Hello everyone!
My husbands for explorer's brake lights won't go out. One will go out in the park postition if you turn the blinker on. But the other one and the top light will stay on.
It is saturday night and we will not be able to find a mechanic until Monday. I am afraid it is going to die with these lights on.
Any suggestions?
Thanks for everything!
Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2002 Ford explorer XLS brake lights won't go out

It sounds like the brake light switch may be stuck. On some vehicles you can find the switch down near the brake pedal. Often it is depressed when the brake pedal is not applied, and then it releases when the brake is applied. But if you can't find the switch, pull out the fuse for the brake lights to turn the lights off. You're right, it will not take long for the lights to run the battery down. If they stay on overnight, the battery will be run down by morning.

o
RE: 2002 Ford explorer XLS brake lights won't go out

Explorer owners, Good day! First of all i would like to state my apology in putting up this thread. Just badly need help with the brake lights of my car and i hope you understand. Feel free to remove this one in case you think this is an inappropriate post. So, I recently bought a used 2000 Explorer XLS and the one brake light was not working and the other one was intermittently working. I replaced both brake lamps and still had the same problem.I replaced
both brake lamps and still had the same problem. Upon close inspection of the lamp sockets, I discovered that theyboth showed signs of overheating. I replaced both brake lamp sockets with an aftermarket product called Conduct-Tite lampsocket found off the shelf the shop here in our place. The part number is 84764. This part number
is for Ford trucks from 1997 and newer. The part is American made by Motormite, Division of R&B, Inc., Colmar, PA 18915. The price was $7.95 for each socket. This fixed my problem. The counter man also recommended that I use a heat transfer silicon type salve smeared on the base of the replacement brake lamps, which I bought.

Related post: Ford Repair

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here