Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
caravan 3 speed tranny

Posted by sammy_tat (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 20, 08 at 20:05

Hope I can find some answers here after searching the web and finding nothing about this strange trans behavior.
I changed the water pump on the engine. 3.0 driven buy the time belt. After tore the top and front of engine apart the tranny seems to have lost 3rd gear for no reason. This is a 3 speed in a 93 caravan tranny. I thought it was the pump after they did a pressure check on the line. It would build pressure then drop off.They said it was the pump. I replaced the pump on the tranny and I have the same problem. It will not shift into 3rd and will stay in second. Sometimes 1st and 2nd will go completely out when I am driving. The thing is,it is not slipping. My question what will cause this? I changed the fluid and filter and I am stumped. It wont even attempted to shift into 3rd. It worked fine till I changed the water pump and o rings on the water pipe under the manifold.I would apreciate the help on this one.It has no vacum lines for the shifting on the tranny.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: caravan 3 speed tranny

A 93 Caravan might have still used manual kick down linkage. I am not near my service information so I cannot check to see if the electronic controls had been added by then, they might have.

If there are no electronic controls, then shift points were determined by throttle input, which is the kick down linkage, and governor pressure, which is determined by a set of fly-weights and increases with road speed. The kick down linkage on these older trannies would corrode and stick, typically at wot, which means you can get it to shift, you just have to go very fast for each gear. There would be a pressure tap for which a manual gage can be installed to test the governor pressure.

If this is electronic start by pulling trouble codes from the engine, and or transmission controller. It's likely you only have reverse and second gear if you are experiencing a transmission control problem.

o
RE: caravan 3 speed tranny

That is when the trouble actually started when I kicked it down hard going up a hill. WOT and that is the time it started acting up. The van is usually driven normal except that time. How do I correct that problem to get it unstuck now and to act proper?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here