SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieo_gw

1992 Honda civic-what to expect? (long..please help)

JulieO
18 years ago

We are the original owners of a 1992 Honda Civic-the very basic automtic transmission model (roll down windows, no cruise control, dealer-added AC at the time of purchase), Has about 91,000 miles on it.

I drove it and my 2 kids around town in it until about a year ago, when I upgraded to a Pilot (which I love). We kept the civic because my daughter just turned 16. During the past year the civic was driven often enough to keep things going-short errands, etc.

Well, the daughter has been liscensed for 2 weeks now, and in that time I have paid to have the alternator replaced (result of the battery charge light not going out when the car was moving), and had a full tune up -because the car wouldn't start at work over the weekend (I think we had original spark plugs) as well as replacing a valve cover gasket.

We know nothing about car repair. This work done at a local service station. Diagnosis was done by the mechanic there.

We have always changed the oil and fluids at recommended intervals. We replaced the timing belt when the (only repair up until now) carberator needed repair at about 60,000-this was done at the dealer. Replaced the original muffer about 2 years ago. (Don't you just love Hondas?)

Aside from that the only trouble we have is that we appear to have some sort of wiring short in the electrical that causes the fuse that controls the dashboard/rear tail lights/rear liscense plate lights to burn out. I simply swap out fuses when this happens, but I went through 3 fuses with daughter yesterday. It happens very randomly.

Today after school, daughter calls from the parking lot and car won't start. I THINK that perphas she just flooded the engine, because after clearing with the pedal to the floor and waiting a few minutes she got it to start.

But what I don't really know is what to expect?

How much should you worry if the car won't start up right away? Do you think that the recent repairs were diagnosed properly, or is the garage not quite getting the problem and just treating the symptoms? Are there other things that are "likely" to go wrong soon just due to the car being 13 years old? Husband and I both know nothing about these sorts of things, and this is the oldest vehicle we have experience with. I don't want my daughter stranded if there is something easy to do to avoid it.

Or is just waiting until something brakes and then dealing with it what we need to do? If it is (and I think it might be), do you think we are getting good advice and care at our currrent shop, or are they seeing a worriesome mom and her visa card and just fixing things that might be better left until later?

Thanks for any and all advice!!!

Julie O-worriesome mom

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County