Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Charge on replace the wheel Cylinder On side

Posted by yan19454 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 9, 05 at 19:10

I went to Pepboys to have my car inspection. They said my front wheeel Cylinder. They did not have the part. It just take them less than one hour to replace. But it charge me $142.20. The part is $18.99. I am not sure whether it is right ? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Charge on replace the wheel Cylinder On side

I talked to the managaer to inquire about that. They charged me 1.8 hrs to fix. Actually it just took them less than 45 minutes. I questioned about that. They said it is the way to work. Book time.I think it is unfair.

Thank you in advance.

o

**They charged me 1.8 hrs to fix. Actually it just took them less than 45 minutes. I questioned about that. They said it is the way to work. Book time.I think it is unfair.**

If it took the guy 3 hrs and still charged you 1.8 hrs 'book time', would you think that would be fair? That's called flat rate. It's purpose is so the same time is charged to a particular job regardless of whether the person doing the work had good luck with it or bad. Had done a million of them or if this is the first one. That way the bill should be about the same where ever the work is done. The alternative would be everyone get charged time and material. Your job this time might have cost $100. The next guy comes in needing the exact same repair and gets charged $500 because a bolt froze, tool broke, ect. That's one reason why serious mechanics invest a bunch of money on tools and spend time studying. So they can get the job done fast so they can make a descent wage. If there's no payback, there's not much of an incentive to be good at it, is there?

o

Thanks. I understand now.

o

With so little info given, Yan, how can any man make an assessment???
Usually wheel cylinders are changed in pairs - both fronts say - and then 99% of "light" vehicles use calipers, which is a different story...
Back in the 60s, changing all of the front cylinders(four) and changing the brakes would be about 2 hours and very profitable for the man on commission..
It pays to be a DIY or to at least secure estimates, particularly today...

o

I think all labor is standard charge. just different shop use different rate. My Saturn SL2 2002 car have 62,000 miles on it. I purchased at 2002. I do not know that much related to auto repair industry. The paper state R&R (remove and replace )Wheel Cylinder One side replace(1.80 hr) $142.20. Part: WC37849T R wheell cylinder pro stop wheel cylinder $18.99. Plus Misc shop supplies: $8.06.

I do not know what is the cause for the Cylinder leak. It seems it need to be change every year.

I just felt I have all the schedule work done on time. My friend(Mercury minivan) just changes the motor oil once a year and brake. It is on 1200,000 miles. Nothing need to be done.

Thanks.

o

Yan, this still makes no sense, but I guess they are changing a rear wheel brake cylinder.
But every year ??
And 1.8 hours ?
I think I would trade the Saturn in on another Mercury...

Evidently ,Honda,Saab, and VW dealers are not the only ones to be greedy..

o

EW, we don't know what exactly the repair was. I don't have a part's/time guide and I assume you don't either. Without those two pieces of information, one can't make any judgements about how much it should have cost.

o

But one thing I do know.

The assistance manager is not professional or honest.

1. I took the car to repair on Thursday, there were a few people there waiting, he told me he did not have the part and asked me to leave the car for tomorrow. It was 4:00 pm. The Pep boys would not close at 9:00 pm. He said he could not fix due to parts availability. Afterwards I made appointment with him on Thursday after Labor Day. I called on Wednesday to ask the parts. The other people told me there are a few parts available. Based on this, I could not make the judgment for the honesty. But

2. Since I need to base the info to make the decision about going home or browse the stores, I asked him how long it would take, He told me a couple hours. I confirmed with him about a couple times about a couple hours waiting time, he still said a couple hours. I went to the back and ask the mechanic( no car is waiting for repair). He told me less than 45 minutes.

3. . I always have my inspection done one month before. My car inspection sticker will expire in Oct. While I drove home after I picked the inspected car , I noticed my new sticker expire in September 06. I went back to Pepboys right away, I questioned the assistance manager about my inspection expiration month . He said it is new law the sticker expire in whatever month it takes inspection. I asked him when it changed since I did my inspection one month before last year. And ask him to show me the book and confirmed whether he was sure about the expiration month. He insisted it is new law. I went back home and went to Penn Dot to search and tried to called Penn Dot. It was not office hours. I could not reach any one in the Penn Dot. I did not feel to look through all the search results on the web. I called the other Pepboys to inquire about the expiration. They all said the inspection would expire in Oct. I called back the Pepboys which fixed the car and asked for him. Some one told me he left already and then I asked for manager. Right now the assistance manager was on the phone. I told him I contacted Penn Dot. The expired month should expire in Oct. He said the Penndot closes. I emailed Penndot on Thursday and asked about the expired month. Penndot replied my email on Friday. I read the Penndot email to him. He asked me to come back Saturday. I got my new expire date on Oct on my old sticker. While the manager asked me how I am. I just wanted to ask him if he were me, how he would feel about that. The assistance manager face flushed with red and talked the law change so often ..

The judgment I draw from my experience the assistance manager is not honest or not qualify for that job.

Thanks.

Frances

o

Posted by: gary__ (My Page) on Sat, Sep 10, 05 at 21:08

EW, we don't know what exactly the repair was. I don't have a part's/time guide and I assume you don't either. Without those two pieces of information, one can't make any judgements about how much it should have cost.

You are right, Gary, and still we are short this info - so I do the wrong thing and guess...

A lack of and poor communications is what I see of this whole mess...

o

Thanks.

Here is the link about the Leaking Wheel Cylinders
It seems Saturn have the problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saturn Leaking Wheel Cylinders

o

Frances, I would suggest you pick a different shop to do your work. Whatever the circumstances, you don't trust these guys. No need to do business with them again.

About billing, most shops use a flat rate book to determine how much time to charge for common repairs. Even warranty work on new cars that you wouldn't pay for is determined that way. The actual time a person spends with a wrench on your car could be less, same as, or longer than the flat rate calls for.

There are shops that specialize in certain areas that will charge less than that. Tire and exhaust shops for example. Some of these places reach out a little further and include routine maintainence things like spark plug r & r, complete brake jobs, free shock replacement if you buy the shocks there, ect. Don't compare the prices given at those type places with those of an independent shop. The independent shop guy isn't skimming the easy stuff like that so he can't afford to discount the charge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here