Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how should I buy my alero or grand am

Posted by vacuumfreak (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 17, 06 at 18:36

I have always wanted an Olds Alero and will settle for a Pontiac Grand Am when the time is right. I have a 1987 Olds Ceira that has had its problems... but I own it. I'm a 23 (as of today!) year old college student with a little bad credit and no good credit, getting my first apartment next month, so financing and being required to have full coverage insurance are not an option. I have 2000 and am hoping to save 2000 more to buy a decent Alero or Grand am. I want to pay cash, but I also want the car as soon as possible... I'm embarrassed to drive around in my POS. Should I look for one from a private owner, ebay, or a buy here pay here place? My Ceira wouldn't start the other day, so I panicked and went to a buy here pay here place (Mrrepo.com terrible place) so that I wouldn't have to put anymore money into my rust bucket on wheels. The guy had a black Alero that I was considering for 3000, but it had dents, the seats where torn, the dash was ripped and wrinkled, tires flat, missing mirror switch... I was still considering it and hoping to fix it up. Went to test drive it, and the gear shift came flying off in my hands... I flew out of that dealership faster than you could turn your head... I'm not a sucker and I just got my Ciera fixed for 150 dollars (crankshaft position sensor... which was replaced a year ago as well)... runs fine now, but one day I will need to get an Alero or Grand am and need to know the best way to do it in my situation. Please let me know! And, please don't tell me to buy a Japanese car or another brand. I've had a Corolla and a Camry, and they were both LEGENDS in reliability (Camry 300,000 miles, never once left me stranded), I simply have always wanted an Alero... if I get anything else I will wish it was an Alero... I want to own one at least once in my lifetime and then I will be able to move on. Once I finally get rid of my Ceira, the tow truck companies in my area are going to be very bored! Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how should I buy my alero or grand am

try a public auction, saw a couple of them go through the auction here a couple of weeks ago. high mileage but clean, the one went for 2800, didnt catch what the other one brought.

o

Why must it be an Alero? You could get the same effect with any of the multitude of other GM W bodys, which are essentially the same car with different badges and trinkets.

o

Son-in-law had one (2002 Alero), what a dog for him, they couldn't keep it out of the shop, so he and my daughter bought a new Kia Optima. In my opinion, they came up in this world of vehicles.

o

In case anybody is wondering why Oldsmobile is no longer, it was because they were too busy suckering in senior citizens when they should have been focusing on 23 year old college students.

You may actually get an opportunity here to repair your credit if you buy a new warranty vehicle from a reputable dealersip, not a buy here/pay here and the payments are within your means. Stick with something $99 a month or less and let your woody for this Alero go away and go hit the books. You're not in high school anymore, nobody gives a flying crap about what you're driving.

o

I think I should buy a used car report and look for the best car for your money. (most reliable!) That should be top on your list because I assume you won't have much cash to fix it up if there were something to go wrong and to buy a used car quickly can be bad sometimes.

Please look into other cars than the pontiac grand am!!! I have one, bought it used. My previous car was stolen and I didn't have much time to research another car. I bought my grand am, from a dealership, and it has been terrible!!! (if you think 150 is bad, i would sink THOUSANDS into this car in a year!!!) I just had so many problems with the car. They are cheaper for a reason!

When we look for a new to us used car we do alot of research first. First, we decide what type of car we need and then we research to find the safest and most reliable car for our money. I know you may feel that the way your car looks is important but I would rather have settled for a nice, not so stylish car that runs than one that is stylish that is a pos.

If you still want that specific car I would visit an auction. I may consider buying from a private owner but I would quiz that person to death trying to figure out why they were selling. I think both are really risky, however auctions are usually cheaper.

o

I have a 2002 silver Alero for sale. Maybe she can be yours, since my company just bought me a new car. I love my Alero, so I would like to see her go to a good home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here