Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone know cars?

Posted by codotheman (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 9, 08 at 17:28

My Car: 2001 Pontiac Grand Am V-6 3.4L engine

My car has always given me trouble starting on occasion. But it has been more frequent recently. And just yesterday i woke up and drove down the street to work, its about a 5-10 minute drive. When i got there and shut the car of i attempted to use the electronic locks, nothing happend. I tried to start it and it was dead. I got a jump after work and drove it around base for like a half hour. Everything seemed fine because it ran a few hours later that night when i wen to clean it out (i am certain i left not electronics on inside). The same thing happend this morning, with the car dieing and all. I got another jump and drove for like 20 minutes, parked it and attempted to start it after i ate. And it died again there! Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone know cars?

I would have the battery tested. Else, it could be the alternator.

o

In addition to testing the battery, I would examine the battery cables. These must be in good condition and have a clean conection to the battery posts. In rare cases, the wire may have a poor connection inside the lead battery post clamps. These may appear ok on the outside but have lost good connecivity inside. look at both ends of the cable. Clean and reconnect the far ends of the cables too.

If you have access to the electrical diagrams, look for gounding/return points that are common to the electric door circuits and the starter solenoid. (You did not say what your start problem was: did nothing happen, or did the engine turn over without firing, or did it hit a bit, cough, and refused to keep running?

o

Check the grounding strap, the one that goes from the engine to the car frame/body. This item is often hidden in out-of-the way places. Common locations are from the back of the engine to the firewall, or under the engine up front to a support member under the radiator. The ones up front under the radiator are troublesome, especially for geographic locations that use a lot of road salt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here