Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
License plate bolts sheared off - what to do?

Posted by christine (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 25, 05 at 15:36

I finally have to change the license plates on my 1994 Honda Civic. Problem was, the bolts were stuck. Heck, they've been there for 10 years, what do you expect?

So I tried some 'liquid wrench' type stuff from the auto place, all it did was make me stink like a mechanic (not that there's anything wrong with that!). So, DH forged ahead and using the vice grips, we managed to get the plates off by tearing off the head of the bolt. Grand!

The problem now becomes, how to attach new plates with the rest of the bolt inside the car? Any ideas? I searched the web for plate holders that aren't necessarily held on with bolts, but didn't find anything. I understand the opportunity for theft, but now what am I supposed to do?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Christine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: License plate bolts sheared off - what to do?

Usually these bolts are threaded into plastic pieces, so your biggest challenge will be getting what's left of the bolts out without totally ruining the plastic. If this was on a bumper and you had access to the back of the hole, I'd say just tear the plastic out and use a screw, washer and nut to put the new plate on, but I think on a Civic the plate is on the hatchback or back of the trunk lid, so you probably don't have access to the back of the hole.

Given that, the best thing I can think to do is buy a good quality metal boring drill bit slightly smaller than the diameter of what's left of the bolt and just drill it out. I have had good luck with the Bosch, DeWalt, and Milwaukee drill bits. You're looking for one bit that'll cost about $5 or $6, not a set of supposedly "metal boring bits" from some off-brand, because usually those won't actually drill through metal.

Be sure to wear eye protection when drilling through metal, and a plug-in electric drill works better than a cordless because the electric ones usually spin faster. Be very careful when you get toward the bottom of what's left of the bolt so the drill bit doesn't shoot through the hole and damage something on the other side.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here