Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
97 VW Golf - Check Engine Light

Posted by mister_h (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 07 at 15:09

My distant relative is selling this car with 130K miles. She says the car has had a recent major tune up done but her longtime mechanic (not authorized VW shop) could not shut off the Check Engine light because he doesn't have the right software. She says the car runs perfect and no other problem (than the Check Engine light). As is, she will let go for only $1000 just for me, even though KBB avg price is $2500.
It would not pass the smog check with the Check-Engine light on, would it?
If a faulty component that's causing the Check-Engine light to come on was replaced by the mechanic, would the light go off automatically or would it still require somekind of software to turn it off as the mechanic claims? The only component that caused the Check Engine light to come on with good running engine was O2 sensor in my experience.
Any input on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 97 VW Golf - Check Engine Light

I am not familar with your car, but at 130,000 miles, I suppose that the change out of the oxygen sensor(s) is/are overdue. In some cars, a "maintence required" light comes on when the manufacturer's deems it is time to change the oxygen sensors. In your case, it may be the Check-Engine light. In general, changing the oxygen sensor(s) will not re-set this code.

This code is stored in non-volatile memory and can not be removed by disconnecting the battery. In most cases, this code can not be removed by consumer code readers, but requires an 'authorized' code reader/re-seter. Professional code readers can reset this code, and mechanics using such equipment are bound by law in many states not to remove this code unless they have changed the oxygen sensor(s) or are certain that something else was amiss such as a malfunctioning "engine control" unit (computer) and that part was replaced.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here