SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reekola

How To Best 'Store' an Unused Car

reekola
18 years ago

Have a 90 Toyota Celica that I want to keep as a "spare" in case one of my other cars dies or needs repairs that will take awhile. Dropped insurance, so can't drive it around to keep all the fluids moving. What should I do to minimize seals drying out, gas getting stale, battery discharging, etc.? I've got it parked in the rocks next to the drive now. Can start it up weekly and let it sit there with engine running, but what else should I do? Not too worried about body, mainly operating components.

I had a 96 Toyota Avalon w/ 225K miles that sat and waited for my son to turn 16 and drive it. Only thing I did was put gas stabilizer in the gas tank. Started it up weekly for about a month until the battery died then just let it sit for 1/2 yr. The PS unit was out of fluid when we started it up (had a slight leak when I parked it initially), the battery was dead and there was rust on the rotors. Put in PS fluid, some PS stop leak, BG44K engine cleaner, new oil and OF and it now drives really good (so far).

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

Sponsored