SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breesmom_gw

Mitsubishi Montero dealership run-around

breesmom
18 years ago

Hopefully there are some repairmen out there!

Having trouble with daughter's Mitsubishi Montero (2001 Limited). Engine temperature gauge was overheating, took to non-dealer repair place (last fall) was told that engine was not over heating and that it needed a new heat sensor. Took car in to dealership in January for inspection, spent over $1000.00 for inspection (needed new rear brakes and rotors supposedly and 2 new tires (which we knew we needed). Checked the "overheating engine situation" and they said it needed new heat sensor as well (ditto non dealership repair place's opionion). Didn't have this part in but would order. Had the part and labor added to the bill because daughter's father (ex-husband) was paying bill. When got car back few days later, engine still looking like over heating (gauge goes all the way to H within minutes of starting car) so assumed that they didn't replace part since it wasn't in yet. Daughter busy college student with baby doesn't have time to spend day with baby at dealership so she doesn't take it in to get this part until just the other day when I finally make an appointment and take it in(9/26/05). Now, however; the dealership is claiming that way back then they DID put the part in but the temperature sensor was never working from day one since we got it back so that's why we were assuming that we needed to just make an appt and since we've already pre-paid for the part and the labor just go and get it put in. Well . . . when I took it in they messed around for about 3 1/2 hours and finally determined that their new temperature sensor (which wasn't even new-I contend they did not replace that part in January) was not the problem but now they believe it's the CPU. They want me to order a new CPU, when that comes in it has to be sent to Michigan (we live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) for calibration (this is $91.00 to do) and then when it comes back they'll install the part. O.K. so I'm not happy knowing that they already charged us a few hundred dollars for a part that quite obviously wasn't the problem and now they're telling me that it needs something completely different but since we've been there the other day now the speedometer is stuck at 45 MPH and only goes down when you come to a stop. This problem was not there when we took it in the other day nor have we ever had a problem with this before! Called them this morning and were told that they would look at the speedometer problem but not for free!!! I already spent $101.00 the other day just for them to skirt around and come up with another problem that will cost me $330.00 to fix which I don't think they have much credibility now, so there's no guarantee that that will fix the problem. What to do? I think they should have just replaced the temperature sensor because it's still under the 12,000 mile/1 year warranty and they definitely should take responsibility for the speedometer malfunction that we have now that we didn't have before our visit the other day! BTW-when we went to get in our car on Monday the locks wouldn't function on the key FOB so they ended up backing it right back into the garage and they had to replace a blown fuse (so if they messed that up they could have/obviously must have messed up the speedometer). Please advise what I should do. I don't know whether to take the car to another Mitsubishi dealership or take it to another auto repair place (the non-dealership repair place said that I had to take it to the dealership to have the temperature sensor replaced). HELP!

Thank you,

Leslie

Comments (12)

Sponsored