Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plug wires

Posted by joe_mn (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 24, 10 at 12:51

have cadillac with overhead cam setup so plug wires go into the top of valve cover. coil packs are on top of valve cover also so wires see no heat from hot exhaust. current wires are ac-delco. 6yrs old. engine has annoying occasional miss. new plugs, new intake gaskets. cleaned egr valve. i don't want to spend $125 for new delco wires. can get generic stuff online for $45 shipped. i put the delco wires on before to fix miss. miss came back after 5 months so i got a new set. fixed miss. i still am not sure why my car runs ok and than poorly. the miss is for sure erratic. very annoying.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plug wires

Are you sure you don't have a fuel problem rather than an ignition problem?

If not, you can try adding a bottle of Techron in the next couple of fill-ups to see what happens. That took care of intermittant mis-fires in a couple of my vehicles in the past. Now I just dump in a bottle a couple times a year for maintenance to help keep the fuel system cleaner.

o
RE: plug wires

well you can tell from my post that i am cheap. i went to junkyard and found a caddy with aftermarket wires. at least this means they are not original. got set for $8. miss is now gone. only 2 cars had wires. one was delco but may have been original. 15+ yrs old.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here