Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
coolant leak

Posted by brie901 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 12:39

I have a 1999 Chevy Blazer with a coolant leak. It's steadily dripping from the bottom of my truck even with the engine off. Can anyone tell me what is leaking or how exactly I find the leak?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: coolant leak

Look.

While you are there, also examine the bottom side of the water pump housing. It has a weep hole. wWen the pump seal leaks, the fluid escapes out the weep hole.

o

Sure, I have a Snap-on cooling system tester. Come on over and we'll find it.

Like jemdandy said, look.

Water pump, hoses and clamps, freeze plugs, radiator, thermostat housing, etc. If it drips just sitting there, you don't even need my tester. Look where it's dripping, and follow the trail up to it's point of origin. If it's dripping up front, the water pump is a good place to start as jemdandy suggested.

Good luck.

o

Do they still sell that , I don't know what they call it, it is poured into the radiator, it has hidden particles in it that goes to the leak and stops it. They probably call it 'stop leak'. How about that.
Not to suggest a leak shouldn't be looked at...I too believe the water pump is the most logical place to start...but back when, radiators were always losing some coolant and the easiest way to stop it was with the ...you know!

o

It's called alumaseal and they still sell it. It works ok for very minor leaks through gaskets and seams. Doesn't have a chance of doing anything for a larger leak or one originating from the shaft or weep hole in the water pump.

o

I bought some stuff called "Blue Devil". It seals every kind of leak where coolent is concerned. It is kind of expensive, but it does work. Just follow the directions to the tee. Remember also, to remove the thermostat, before you use this.
I used it on my 92 Chevy Lumina which has 245,000 on it, and it worked great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here