Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Car not 'shifting up'

Posted by audrey (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 30, 10 at 10:59

Hi! I have an old 1996 Crown Victoria with about 130,000 miles on it. It still does pretty good for me, except that it is sometimes very sluggish just after being started. It will putt along at only about 30-some miles per hour for a while, and feels like it isn't shifting up as it should when I accelerate. Once it gets warmed up, it seems okay again. We did try adding transmission fluid, but that doesn't seem to have helped. Any other ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Car not 'shifting up'

sluggish means the engine revs up but the car does seem to pick up speed? why did you add trans fluid? did you check the dipstick and see if it was low? trans may be slipping but it does not sound like you are capable of figuring that out. might take it to a shop and have a mechanic test drive car. is it engine or trans?

o

At 130,000 miles, the seals on the servo valves may very well be worn. Hesitating to shift from 1st to 2nd when first starting out is a common symptom of worn seals. The problem worsens with a cold transmission and improves as the transmission warms up.

Check the dipstick. Look in your owmer's manual or a repair manual to see if the engine needs to be running when checking the fluid level. Do not over fill. Overfilling causes foaming and worsens shift problems.

o

Thanks, both of you, for your suggestions. The transmission fluid was my dad's idea, and he usually knows what he's doing. At the moment, he's fixing some kind of gasket that went bad on the muffler. So I'll pass on to him the suggestion about the servo valves. Though, I suspect when one thing after another starts going wrong, it may be time to get another car!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here