Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hard Shifting When Engine Cold

Posted by skagit_goat_man_ (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 07 at 10:16

I have a '94 Ford Ranger PU with a 4cy engine, manual transmission and hydraulic clutch. It has around 170,000 miles. When we start the engine in the morning it is very hard (or impossible) to get into 1st, or 2nd, gear. If I go into reverse and start backing up and then go to 1st while the truck is moving in reverse it goes in. Then I can stop and go forward. But driving during the day all this really isn't a problem. Any thoughts on likely causes- transmission, clutch?? Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hard Shifting When Engine Cold

I used to put 90 weight oil in a transmissions originally designed for 30 weight. Long story... but anyhow I'm in florida and when the temp would drop say to 40's ... man it was very hard to get into or out of gear for about that first half a mile during very cold mornings.

170 thousand miles,,, when was the last time you changed the gear oil ?

o

Can you put it in 1st gear, then start the engine? Does the clutch free travel feel normal to you?

Assuming transmissions are pretty much the same as they were 30 years ago, and the clutch is ok, the usual problem is worn brass blocking rings. They are threaded and fit over a kind of cone shaped area at the edge of the gears. Their purpose is to stop that gear so you can shift. My two bit guess is those threads are pretty worn and no longer work very well. People often refer to these as synhcro's, short for synchronizers. Not really an accurate term because they are only one small part of that assembly. If that's all it is, parts are cheep. Still have to yard out the transmission and take it all apart. jmo

o

Sometimes I can get it into first before starting, sometimes not. The clutch free travel and resistance feel normal. I change the trans oil per mfg specs and check it every oil change, 3000 miles. Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here