Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's the best car battery charger?

Posted by catherinet (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 19, 11 at 9:42

We live out in the country and have had dead car batteries a couple times. We have an old charger, but it really is worthless........takes hours and hours to charge.

The last time AAA was here, their charger started the car right up, just like jumping from another car.

I want to get one of those. Any idea which one I would get?
Do they take any maintenance?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's the best car battery charger?

You might consider getting new batteries. The AAA truck
( charger ) is not a charger. It's a booster pack. Can put out
as much as 36 - 48 volts. Flashes the battery with a surface
charge only. Does not charge it. A proper charge is between
6-12 amps over night. You can get a fast charger with engine start that can put out about 80 amps. Some time they come on sale for under $200.00.

o

Thanks kalining,
My car battery is good, but one bad thing about my Honda Odyssey is that if you accidentally leave on the dome light switch, its dead in the morning. We try to always leave the switch in the off position, but **** happens. haha
One time I dusted off the dash area, and forgot to check on that switch and ended up with a dead battery in the morning. Bummer.
My van is 11 years old, so hopefully the newer ones have an auto shut off for that dome light.

o

they don't

o

Sounds like you might have two problems. Finding a new battery and getting the right battery charger. There are a number of good battery chargers in the market but the best in may opinion are the automatic battery chargers. The automatic battery chargers will charge your battery and keep it charged between uses. Get one that will charge a 12 volt battery.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here