Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tire size

Posted by dcolonel (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 2, 05 at 9:16

I am getting to buy a new set of tires for my 94 Cadillac Fleetwood Broughm (rear wheel drive).

The vehicle had 6.35x70R15 tires when new and the previous owner replaced them with 6.35x75R15.

The vehicle rides drives and performs well with the taller tire but I have always followed factory specs.

What difference will i notice in replacing with the smaller tire, if any?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tire size

Check your manual or the car's stickers for the correct size as the first figure "6.35" seems to be out of place.
Then the Tire Rack.com has some good info.

The "70" is the aspect ratio; this number is becoming lower and lower in the interest of handling and "perceived style".

Probably the car is better off with the "75" - favoring ride qualities over handling(steering response).

o

FWIW: changing the tire height from stock (and all other factors being equal) will affect your speedometer calibration.

o

That definitely should be true about the speedometer/odometer calibration, but I did that on my Blazer (went from 70 to 75 series tires) and if it threw anything off, it's by a very small amount. I used the mile markers on the Interstate to check it and whatever error there is, is too small to detect by that method. The difference between the 70s and the 75s as far as circumference of the tire is probably just not enough to make any difference that matters. Obviously if you went to 10.5 x 31s or something, that'd make a difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here