Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ECM Question

Posted by christopherh (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 28, 09 at 7:56

I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota, 4.7 V8 with 158,000 miles. I was driving and the check engine light came on. I took it to my mechanic and he plugged it in and the reading said, "No communication". He said the computer was bad.

He disconnected one of the 3 connectors and there was oil on the pins and plug. The oil was from the ECM. He cleaned everything off, plugged in the scanner and "No Codes" came up.

OK, so what would cause the ECM to spring a leak? Before I spend $589 for a new one from the dealer, I need to know if something caused the unit to go, or do these things just spring a leak? When the engine light comes on, I remove the plug, blot the oil from the pins and clean off the connector, replace it and go on my merry way.

But I need to know what's causing it.
And don't tell me to get rid of the truck, because I love it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ECM Question

A common source of oil in the PCM is the power steering pressure switch. When it fails, it leaks through the connector, and the pressure pushes the fluid through the harness all the way to the PCM.

o
RE: ECM Question

Thanks John. And now that you mention it, I am having trouble with the power steering. It's making noises when I turn the wheel. So, where's the power steering pressure switch located?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here