SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shannon01_gw

check engine light won't even come on-car dead

Shannon01
18 years ago

I have a 1995 Chrysler Cirrus. One day I got in and got to intersection. It idled really low and died. It restarted so I drove home. Next day, she won't start. Dh notices check engine light does not come on for few seconds when he tries to start car. He checks sparks, timing belt, etc. We get a code reader and it cannot make link. We try to get codes doing the on/off thing with the keys, no code is given. We try reader on our truck and it works no problem. So reader is not defective. Bulb is fine for check engine light. Cables appear fine.

We are thinking the computer is bad. In last month I had to jump the car twice due to interior light being left on. It took a while to keep charge. We have heard that can cause computer to short out.

So we are thinking if the dealer looks at car they are going to try to pull codes. It won't do it so they will put in a new computer to see if that works.

Do you think we are heading down right path on this computer thing? Is that first thing to suspect when light does not come on when starting car? Dh cannot find anything mechanically wrong.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville