Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No heat - no air cond.

Posted by ruthann (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 18, 10 at 0:22

Hi, I have an 02 Buick Lesabre that has no heat or air right now, unless I hit a pothole. Then the blower comes on.
But if I turn the ignition off the blower doesn't come back on til I hit a hole. A mechanic friend said it needs a "blower resister motor", which is around $150 at a junkyard. He was going to fix it for me but he is dragging his feet, so I am taking it to a garage next week. Do any of you agree that this is the problem? Thank you...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No heat - no air cond.

I am not familiar with the newer Buicks. The older ones used a resistor assembly to control the blower motor speed. This resistor is in series with the blower motor. It is mounted in the air plenum so that the blown air passes over it and cools it. It will over heat if its air flow is blocked.

In the older Buicks with your symptoms, there would ne at least 4 possiblities:

1. Failed resistor unit.
2. Bad blower motor, possibly brushes worn down.
3. blower speed control switch.
4. blower motor relay(s) if present.

The most common failure was the resistor unit. It fails by a burned out or broken reisistor or develops a bad connection.

I don't know anything about a "blower resistor motor".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here