Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2000 chevy s10

Posted by patches_02 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 31, 07 at 23:05

Just put our 3rd transmission in this truck. Same thing happened in all three. Won't go into reverse and fourth or overdrive. This same thing has happened with three different tranys. Any ideas as to why this is happening?
The one we just put in on Wed. was in great shape, real clean. Drove it to work in the early morning hours then while driving home the trany got hot, now this one won't go into reverse of fourth. Somethings going on that causes the same thing to happen to each one. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2000 chevy s10

Manual or automatic transmission?

I presume its a manual. Items to check:

1. Proper lubricant and filled to proper level.

2. Mis-adjusted linkage or worn shift link joints. The synchronizing clutches may have been dragging and heating.

3. The transmission misaligned with the end of the crankshaft causing undue loads on the pilot bushing and forward transmission bearing.

4. Failed pilot bushing causing overload of the forward transmission bearing.

5. This one's a shot in the dark: Catalytic converter close to transmission with heat shield missing.

o

Sorry i should have said, it's automatic. lubricant is proper level. All clean. catalytic was plugged but took care of that. Added one of those external coolers to keep it from getting so hot.

o

How hot is the transmission getting? Are you using scan data to report the actual transmission temperature?

My first thought is that the transmission cooler inside the radiator might be restricted. If that's the case, and you have added an external cooler in series with the radiator, then you probably haven't fixed the problem yet. The fluid may simply not be moving fast enough to sufficiently cool the transmission. Worse yet, this cooled fluid is the main lubrication for the transmission before it goes back to the pan. That means if the fluid flow through the cooler is low, the tranny could be starving for lubrication. It takes a huge fluid to air cooler to eliminate the one in the radiator. Most coolers people buy are just to supplement the factory original in the radiator. They usually are not intended to eliminate the factory cooler. But that may be what you need in this case, or else a radiator repair/replacement.

One thing you need to do is get a power flow diagram for the transmission. To get Fourth Gear, you need to see which clutches need to be applied. Then compare that to reverse, and overdrive I expect is fouirth, you just may be referring to the lock-up convertor application. When the tranny fails, what are you getting when you put it into reverse, an engine flare (free rev)? Is this what happens when it tries to shift from third to fourth as well?

o

I agree with John that something is causing the problem and it's not because of a bad trasmission design. My son has the same model and has put 60,000 miles on it with zero problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here