Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small Cars with Good A/C

Posted by happs (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 29, 06 at 21:06

Do small cars generally have less powerful and therefore less cold air conditioning systems. I have a 1992 Honda Accord and a 1988 Buick LeSabre both of which run on R-12 and have no problems with the air conditioning systems but the Buick's air conditioning after 18 years is ice cold and gets cold superfast on a 110 degree day, whereas the Honda air conditioning doesn't get that cold on a hot day, irregardless of whether it's been in the shade or sun. I've noticed it's also a big drag on the engine too of the Honda. Do domestic brands generally have cooler air conditioning systems than foreign brands? What are some small cars that have cold air conditioning systems yet get good gas mileage and aren't a drain on power. I know that seems impossible, but my 1992 Honda Accord 42,000 miles freshly tuned up, new timing belt and new transmission only gets about the same gas mileage as a similar year Pontiac 6000/Olds Ciera with a V6

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small Cars with Good A/C

The AC in the Accord may need to be recharged. As for the drag on the engine, all AC compressors rob the engine of a couple horses or so... but you generally don't feel the loss in a larger, more powerful engine like you do in a 4-cylinder. The drag on today's more powerful 4-cylinder engines, however, is less noticable. I have heard from more than one source that Japanese air conditioning systems are a bit differently engineered than those of domestic brands... so this may have something to do with it. I never had any trouble with the AC in my 96 Accord, it cooled off in a timely manner and always kept me cold. In 270k miles, I never had to service or repair the system. I did feel the drag on the engine every time the compressor cycled, even when cruising along on the highway at 70 mph.

Now, comparing the AC in my 06 Accord to the recently purchased 2000 Buick Park Avenue, the air in the Accord is noticeably cooler.

Regarding your gas mileage, I averaged mid 20s in the city and mid 30s on the highway in the 96 Accord, which was mechanically similar to your 92 (96 had a few more horses) Which was acceptable in it's class, at the time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here