SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grittymitts

This ol' lady needs help...

grittymitts
14 years ago

Year before last, after grocery shopping I got in our '94 Fleetwood (ol' reliable) put key in ignition and nothing happened! Horn, lights & radio all worked fine & none of the normal clicking that usually signals dead battery.

Unable to get in touch with anyone for help I waited a couple of minutes & tried again...no go. Third time it started perfectly as if nothing had ever been wrong.

A few days later it happened at home. I called mechanic who'd replaced the 'key reader' the year before & he first said it had gone bad. Bristling, I asked how the dickens a $500. (labor inc.) brand new GM part from Caddy dealer could be bad after such a short time. He thought a minute & told me to try ignition key on 2nd set. Worked like a charm. Also advised me to keep a lead pencil in the car and rub it over the key, which I did on key that 'failed, and it worked! Got a sm. tube of graphite to keep in console & had no further issues until today! Neither key works now...nor does rubbing pencil over the whole key OR a lil' shot of graphite in ignition.

I'm a 72 yr old female who lives in rural area with DH who has Alzheimer's & at times couldn't tell a tail pipe from a hood ornament. I broke into tears as I sat in that darn car this evening in frustration & recollection of how astute he once was about mechanics.

Will I have to buy, charge & carry a portable charger to make mostly short, infreguent trips to town...or do any of you have suggestions to help me avoid yet another repair bill & car rental while it's in the shop? NO way we can afford a new one either.

All advice appreciated!

Grittymitts

Comment (1)

Sponsored