Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
VW 1.8 turbo passat

Posted by kiche1 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 5, 05 at 20:04

I have 1999 VW passat 1.8 turbo(gas)I was told by a friend the turbo does not work,I have not noticed any thing,is there a way to tell if the turbo is OK or not.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: VW 1.8 turbo passat

If it accelerates about the same as when new, the turbo is working (unless the turbo has never worked).

o
RE: VW 1.8 turbo Passat

Many turbos are very non-intrusive, if you drive really easily, you may never use it very much. When accelerating flat out (part of the Italian tune up), are you still passed by Geo's and VW bugs ??
Use the VW form, and compare boost gage readings..

o

Actually the Passat turbo kicks in at relatively low rpms...can't remember exactly when but much sooner than my son's wrx. I can hear mine....if I'm listening for it, but barely. I've been told that if you really wind it up for awhile, it will glow red....one of these days I'll have to take a look:)

o

Can I drive the car with the TURBO broken.What will happen if I drive it.

o
RE: VW 1.8 turbo Passat

I would not think so - say a bearing was shot - the continuance of operating might cause a cathasphery..If worse came to worse, I would remove the entire assembly (if possible)..
Better to find a turbo shop.
Saab uses a Mitsubishi unit(among others) as do many others...You may have to go the the VW forums to find what they use..

o

vwvortex is a good one

o

FWIW.

I suggest you read the Car Connection article regarding VW linked below. It's very informative and scary...

TJ

Here is a link that might be useful: TheCarConnection.com / Enthusiasts / Mechanics Tale / VW, Heal Thyself

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here