SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dnt1

FORD Spontaneous Combustion

DNT1
17 years ago

I just recently found out about the massive Ford recall of the cruise control deactivation switch some 900 thousand vehicles. The switch is hot at all times and it mounts directly to the master cylinder, the switch is apparently leak prone and when the flammable brake fluid shorts the circuit out, the whole vehicle can go up in flames whether it is being driven or parked in your garage!! I own a 2000 model Ford Windstar that has the switch but was not recalled so I did some investigating. Hopefully someone can benefit from this information. Ford has NOT come up with a replacement switch , on the recalled vehicles they simply install a fused section of wiring between the old switch and the factory wiring harness. This is good that they did this, but there are still over 15 million vehicles out there using that identical switch that have not been recalled including my Windstar Van. A google search will give you a huge amount of info on this subject although I could not find specifics for what a person could do if they had a vehicle with this switch that was not covered under the recall program. The cure is a $7.82 part from your local Ford dealer (same part they use under the recall but you have to pay for it if your vehicle was not recalled) takes about 5 minutes to install it simply plugs in between your switch and the factory wiring harness, it has a inline fuse and if your switch goes bad it will stop voltage to the switch and your car or truck will no longer be in danger of burning up. The part number is 4W1Z-14A411-BC WIRE AS 226006. I would encourage anyone with a Ford vehicle that has the master cylinder mounted cruise control deactivation switch to purchase and install the safety wiring, whether your vehicle was recalled or not. I think Ford needs to publicize the problem a lot more, but obviously it is all about the money as always. Me myself I do not mind paying 8 bucks and taking five or ten minutes to install it myself. I find that I sleep much better now with that vehicle in my attached garage LOL.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County