Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my foot's getting wet

Posted by emiceekayeewhy (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 16, 05 at 17:20

There's water leaking onto my right foot when it's on the gas pedal of my 1996 Honda Accord EX.

The first time the water was freezing cold, so I thought it must have something to do with the air conditioner. However, today, it was very hot -- enough to hurt my toes a little.

Each time it was just a few tablespoons of water -- not a huge gush. What the heck is this? Is it okay to continue driving? For what it's worth, my car sat uncovered in the driveway through a downpour before I drove it today.

Thanks!

Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my foot's getting wet

Sounds like your heater core has a leak. Is is clean water or does it smell like anti-freeze?

You should probably make arrangements to have it checked.

o

Maybe you can try some wax paper or a clear white paper towel, placed under the leak area, to make a determination...
Monitor your coolant level, if possible.
We had a 90% trouble free '88 Accord, but it was very difficult to do this - not a good design - but it never leaked either...

o

It's clean water -- no odor or oily feel. It sure is hot though, when it hits my foot. I'll have to stop wearing sandals when I drive until this is fixed. It seems to happen when I go up a steep hill or around a corner. I suppose that could be a coincidence.

Okay, I guess I can't ignore it and hope for the best. I'll call my mechanic in the morning. Sigh. Goodbye $$.

Thank you!

o

I had a Mercury Cougar several years ago.That every time it rained my foot got wet.Or the floor board would get wet if it was sitting out.Turned out it was a rusted hole in the firewall.The water came in the vented area between the hood and windshield and ran in near the gas pedal.Maybe the heat from the engine is making the water hot?

o

Turns out that the drain from the AC was clogged, so it was draining onto my foot. A simple and, more important, inexpensive solution. Thanks for your input.

Pam

o

That( a clogged drain) it what I thought it was.
This is very common, debris must find its way into the air box and then into the drain..
But with the popular cabin filter, I thought this event to be impossible.
My car is also doing the same thing - easy to tell - those cars with a good clear system leave a spot that would go a water buffalo proud.
But the '96 Saab leaves half the condensate on the rug and the rest thru the drain,,

o

I wear sandals all summer and when that very cold or very hot water suddenly dripped on my toes, it sure startled me! I even started keeping a closed toe shoe in the car to keep my foot dry. All is solved, until the next thing comes up.

The worst leak I had was clogged drains from the sunroof. I'd back out of the driveway and when I went forward, a bucket of water would pour on my head and shoulder. That was in an '87 Honda.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here