Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
92 Camaro A/C with R12

Posted by mapesii (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 15, 06 at 17:02

I have a 92 Camaro with R12 A/C system. When I got the car it had set for a while. The A/C works but not real effiecent. The compressor seems to cycle on and off way to often. I have not hooked up my gauges to it yet but my guess is it is a little low on R12 from the long sit. My question is I have seen a product called Freeze 12 an R12 substitute. Can this be used in my system and without doing a complete evacutation and recharge(mixing the two)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 92 Camaro A/C with R12

Don't think so. If it were me, I just take it in for service. Dispite all the horror stories about r-12 being $100 per pound, it only cost me maybe $20 more to have my r-12 system serviced a few years ago than had it had 134a. Maybe it's a regional issue. Maybe there's some shops trying to cash in. I know for a fact r-12 isn't hard to get.

o
RE: 92 Camaro A/C with R12

Your vehicle will cool much better with the R12 that the system was designed for. And as stated above its not that expensive if the only problem is a low charge you may get off cheap at a shop. The Freeze12 is 80% or so R134a with I think 20% R142B. You are still supposed to have the epa cert 609 to purchase this stuff and if you get that heck I would just pick myself up some r12 if you wish to DIY. Mixing the two refrigerants will create a whole new blend Not Recommended

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here