Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Because you guys are the best...I ask for your help

Posted by huskymaniacny (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 2, 10 at 16:50

I just bought a used-new car. It is a 1996 Subaru SVX with 73K miles on it. It has some known issues and I plan to do what I can to avoid them. But one thing I noticed on a recent drive through the hills was that my temperature gauge fluctuated slightly. It never got high. It went from about 35% of full scale to about 45% of full scale. When I was climbing a hill it rose. When going down hill, it went down. I plan to check my fluid levels tonight and top off the coolant. What else should I look into or check?

Also, what is the best way to distinguish between bad wheel bearings and noisy tires due to abnormal wear from a misalignment?

Thanks again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Because you guys are the best...I ask for your help

Since you have a car with unknown service history, it would be a good idea to perform a complete service on the car. That way, you will can start fresh with a new history.

I'm not sure how much change in coolant temperature is normal for your vehicle, but what you describe is beginning to appear a bit too much. However, if your weather is as hot as it is here, that may be normal.

1. Yet, I think it is a good idea to drain your coolant, flush and refill with fresh coolant plus water pump lube, and change the thermostat.

2. Replace the spark plugs and ignition leads.

This is a good time of the year to do items 1 and 2 above while the weather is warm. Don't wait until frost arrives.

Tire noise due to uneven wear often make sounds in sync with wheel speed, or a multiple of wheel speed. Wheel bearing noise makes a grinding sound and may not be synchonous with wheel speed. However, you have a Subaru and many of those have all wheel drives. The noise you hear may be in the drive line. If the noise is quiet while going straight, but increases while turning, suspect the front CV joints. If you have a transfer case, check the lubricant level in it. Inspect all joints in the drive line.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here