Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reputable restoration shop in Houston area?

Posted by whitneymac (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 31, 09 at 16:20

My husband and BIL inherited a 1956 Chevy truck that is in need of serious restoration and complete rebuild. Does anyone know of any reputable shops in the Houston area that could handle the full restoration?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reputable restoration shop in Houston area?

Actually, my husband just told me that the parts are all there in boxes, we just need someone knowledgeable to build it. Hopefully it won't cost that much!!!

o
RE: Reputable restoration shop in Houston area?

What is your definition of a restoration ? How far do you want to go ? I'm sure you won't be doing a body off restoration. You can't afford it even if you do it yourself. Chevy trucks arn't worth that much. If you add your time and labour your restoration will cost thousands.
If you send it out, god help you. I've rebuild a 1992 Taurus LX. just to drive it. It has a new motor and transmission. I've just done the front end and suspention.
I'm into it for $2000.00 and i drove it home. Haven't even
touched the body and it need a windshield, rockers, rear
quarter,left fender well, and paint. The paint for that car is $118.00 a quart. It needs 3 quarts. $150.00 for the clear coat and hardener. $80.00 for the reducer not counting sand paper and body filler. As your post says
" serious restoration " you could be in for minimum $10,000.00 plus. That is IF you are serious about the restoration. Very good looking truck though. If it has a
6 cylinder in it don't waste your time. I've been in this biz for over 40 years and i personally don't think you have a clue of what your in for. Good luck. Hay i've been
wrong before. It will be a very good experiance. Give it your best shot and hope you have fun. That's what it's all about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here