Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carfax

Posted by volvo240 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 10, 06 at 15:33

anyone have an account for Carfax and could run a VIN for me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carfax

No I don't. But I don't have a lot of faith in Carfax anymore. My neighbor ran a check on a Caddy he was thinking about buying for his wife. Carfax came up with zero entries. His son just happened to have an account open with another company. So they ran the VIN through that account. It came up with 13 entries. Make you wonder why there is such a big difference. JMHO

Good Luck
Bob

o

thats a big diff..wonder why carfax missed it?..

o

**thats a big diff..wonder why carfax missed it?..**

Maybe someone's comparing apples to oranges. Maybe someone entered a different VIN. I believe carfax gets it's info from DMV records. Also, if you spend the money for a carfax account, I believe they'll buy your car back if they give you a report that a vehicle's history is clean and it's not. Like anything else, carfax can't be perfect. It's got to be better than flying blind though.

o

They used the same VIN#. That was one of the things they doubled checked. They were so mad they called Carfax and complained. And asked for a refund. Carfax response was, Well you can't expect us to know every detail about the car. So they ask how come the other company was able to come up with info that Carfax wasn't able to. Their response was, Well maybe they use a different search criteria than we use. The car had 3 different owner and Carfax didn't have that. There was a discrepency on the mileage. Carfax didn't have that. The car had been in an accident. Carfax didn't have that. The car had a new Title issued due to a lost Title. Carfax didn't have that. So the info that other company came up with had to come from the DMV and Insurance info. So how come Carfax didn't come up with it. So the final response was, we can only give you the info we have. And no we will not give you a refund.

Other than that I don't know what to tell you. Do you think they got What they paid for? If they hadn't checked with another company I would say yes. But now You be the judge.

o

I don't understand how Carfax can know what goes on with a lot of cars. If a car gets in an minor accident and requires a part to be replaced, it can be replaced from a junker and unless you're looking for damage, you'd never know, right?
Does carfax know how many times my dog has barfed in the back seat?

o

**If a car gets in an minor accident and requires a part to be replaced, it can be replaced from a junker and unless you're looking for damage, you'd never know, right?**

These reports are just one tool to use to determine, according to records, whether the car you want to buy is really the cherry one owner low miler driven to church on Sunday buy grandma...as told by the salesman. Or one that's had 10 owners, been totaled and restored, speedometer rolled back, and ran through the DMV's of two or three states to launder it's title. That's it's value. It's not fool proof but about got to be better than nothing.

Without anything what you have to go by is the car salesman's story along with your observation of the mileage indicated on the odometer which in the past has been easy to set at whatever the salesman wanted it to be, and whether the paint's shiny and the carpet's been vacuumed. jmo

o

If your buying from a dealer.Tell him you might be intersted if he was to rum a carfax report.If he has nothing to hide most will gladly do it while you set and wait at there expense.If he saids no you probably will not like whats in the report anyway.

o

Carfax told me they do not get all of the info from all states (Colorado being one of them). I had to really do a lot of questioning them to get this info out of them. They really try to cover this info up. I only knew this because the dealer told me that Carfax was kind of useless in our state.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here