Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on car problem

Posted by savithagopalan (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 05 at 14:50

I have a 2001 Nissan Sentra with 27K miles on it. Today, when driving at 60 mph on an interstate the engine simply stopped and the 'service engine soon' sign came up. I pulled over to the shoulder, turned the keys off and tried starting the car again. The engine did not switch on despite several attempts. After about 15 minutes, I tried again and the engine took off. I could drive the car at about 60 mph but felt an unusal drag/effort in having to drive at that speed. I drove for about 6 miles and the engine died again. Again, I couldn't start it immediately but could start it after a 10-minute break. After this episode repeated itself 3-4 times, I reached home.

I just filled gas a couple of days ago so lack of fuel can be ruled out. Whenever the engine starts, it doesn't make any unsusual sounds. The car lights/AC etc are fine. I don't think the the car is over heated becasue the temperature level on the panel is normal. I have been servicing it regularly and the car is not due for the next service until it hits 29000 miles. Any idea what might be wrong with the car?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on car problem

Plugged fuel filter?

o

Possibilities

1. Fuel filter

2. Ignition module heating up and failing. Could be the cam shaft position sensor or crank (flywheel) sensor.

o

Your check engine lamp may have just come on with some of the other indicator lamps due to the car dying. Did the CEL light up just before the car died or definitly before any other light came on, if so then go down to the local code reader shop and get the code from the computer and let us know please for maybe some better assistance, there are some good ones already.

o

Posted by: JemDandy (My Page) on Fri, Aug 5, 05 at 7:18

Possibilities
1. Fuel filter..... I disagree, just a service item , due to be changed at 50 to 100K miles !!

2. Ignition module heating up and failing. Could be the cam shaft position sensor or crank (flywheel) sensor.

.......This heat is hard on coils, transformers, computers.Temperatures are too high under the hood. Styling? running amok over common sense engineering...

o

I had a nissan truck that diod the same thing. It was an egr valve but I never fixed it.The reason it would not restart is becuase the computer goes into "safe" mode and resets after 3-4 attempts.

o

Hi Everyone

Thanks very much for your inputs. As JemDandy suggested, it was the crank shaft position sensor. I came to know that Nissan had recalled some cars for this problem earlier. So the dealer fixed it for free!

Thanks again
Savitha

o

Glad you found out what it was.

Just because the temp gauge reads normal is no guarantee.
If the coolant level gets below the sending unit then it won't read properly.
And it will exibit the symptoms you described.

Pooh Bear

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here