Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tahoe Daytime Running Lights..

Posted by Moonchild715 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 2, 05 at 14:02

Just wondering if anyone is experiencing a similar problem with the running lights on Tahoes, Suburban or similar models. Once or twice a year, a light on one side or the another burns out on our 2000 Tahoe. We notice this sometimes on other Tahoes we pass on the road. I think Chevrolet must be making a small fortune on consumers who need to replace the bulb. Curious if this is a widespread problem. Complaints to the dealer have fallen on deaf ears. Will have to complain to the higher ups and see what happens.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tahoe Daytime Running Lights..

I have a new Chevy Colorado Pickup with daytimes that are a orange/yellow color, I think, I haven't seen one coming at me and I see only a reflection of mine. What are on the Tahoe?

If the Tahoe has a similar color running light, the problem may also appear in the Colorado. If so, I'll join in on the complaint.

o

I do see a lot of the daytime running lights burned out on the full-size Chevy trucks as well as the big SUVs that are built on the full-size truck platform. Maybe the lights are mounted in a way that exposes them to excessive vibration. Can you get an aftermarket bulb rather than one from the dealer? If you know the bulb number, the local auto parts store can check for it if it's not on the shelf. You may want to have them see if there is a longer life replacement bulb available.

o

Jerry_NJ - Yes - mine are those orange/yellow lights too. I guess they just aren't built to last.

Cowboyind - it would be interesting to see if the aftermarket bulb would work. I'll have to bring up the point about the excess vibration when I give Chevy a call to complain. Probably one of those annoying design flaws they can't figure out.

I'll post when I hear some feedback. Thanks for the imput.

o

You can use a 4114 instead of a 3157 bulb (your owner's manual may call for a 3157). The 4114 bulb has a 4000-hour life, compared to (I think) 400 hours for the 3157. The 4114 is apparently a long-life, DRL-use replacement for the 3157.

The 3157 should be available anywhere for a couple of bucks if you want to continue using it..I'm not sure about the 4114. It might be a dealer-only bulb.

o

I guess the daytime running lights stay on full time when driving, I see all these parts for your daytime running lamp system (sensor,diode,module and relay) But try replacing the bulbs first because since they run full time while you drive chances are the bulbs just burnt out. Or could be a problem with the switch or the wirings. If you have no idea about it, you are free to call for a shop that could handle Chevrolet repair. There are lots of them on the high street

Here is a link that might be useful: My private profile

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here