Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Truck Suspenion - Spring Helper?

Posted by mister_h (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 07 at 13:18

My 2001 Dodge Dakota quadcab sags at the rear when I tow a trailer with heavy tonge weight or carry a heavy cargo on the bed.

There are 2 types of spring helpers I found - (1). Metal leaf spring helper, another piece on the top of the existing set of leaf springs. (2). Air Filled Bag type (Firestone makes).

The cost is about the same, $250. The installation difficulty level is about the same. Which one do you think is more effective in terms of performance?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Truck Suspenion - Spring Helper?

1st, make sure you're not exceeding the towing and/or weight capacity of the truck. I don't imagine it's much fun trying to steer a 3 wheeled truck after an axle snaps off.

2nd, are you using a weight distributing hitch when you tow, and if so is it set up correctly? If not, get one or get it fixed.

Of the overloads, I'd prefer air bags. There are good ways to beef up leaf springs and not so good ways. Don't know what means you're talking about to help them as you say.

The thing to remember is even if you add leaves to equal the capacity of a 3/4 ton truck, it won't make it a 3/4 ton truck. jmo

o

thers also one on the market, that works very good ez to install, doesent require air, very simple. you will have to google it, i dont remember all the details. but it goes by the name timbren try www.timbren.com i had these on a s-10 and they worked great.

o

Thanks for your input, gentlemen.
I am no where near exceeding the bed cargo (1200? lbs) nor the towing limt (5700 lbs) of my truck when I have this rear end sagging problem. It's just "sometimes" the load is not efficiently distributed. I just reviewed the Timbren product suggested by bill h and I liked it so much that I ordered one for myself.
Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here