Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
brake squeel since cleaning rims

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 26, 10 at 12:29

Yes, something I sprayed cleaner on my rims and wiped off the dirt and something have gotten to place it was not suppose to on my rear wheels and now the brakes squeel when I hit them. Is this something a non mechanic type like me can lubricate...ie can I spray some lubricant in there and if so where?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: brake squeel since cleaning rims

What type of brakes do you have on the rears? Drum or rotor?

If you have drum brakes, DO NOT spray any kind of lubricant inside the brake drums. For drum brakes, there are places for specialized lubricants in the mechanisms, but the drum has to be removed to see these. The contact surfaces of the shoes and drums must be kept free of oils, etc. These work best when clean and dry.

The squeal you are experiencing may be due to contaminants on the rubbing surfaces of the shoes. Hopefully, this will subside with use. If these brakes are not grabbing, continue to use them.

Semi-metallic shoes tend to squeal more than the older types.

If you have rotor type brakes, are you sure you are not hearing a 'sqeaker' built into the shoe that indicates a worn down pad. (Not all pads have squeakers. The only sure way to to check for wear is to inspect the pad thickness. Some rotor brake designs have a provision for checking the pad without disassembly.)

o
RE: brake squeel since cleaning rims

I have rear drums and front rotors. The sound may indeed be coming from the front. The car was recently inspected and passed. This started immediately after cleaning the rims. Maybe it is the front. Is there something to lube there? Maybe I pushed dirt somewhere it should not have gotten? Could it hurt to soap up the rim and then blast waster in there and around the brakes?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here