Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Car Not Starting/Turning Off - Need Advice

Posted by ggalv (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 3, 10 at 11:55

We are having trouble with my friends 1996 Maxima. About two months ago, the car was turning on but after trying to move it, it turned off if it was not accelerated. I talked to a mechanic and he said he needed to accelerate the car so that it would not turn off.

Well, too make a long story short, we got a new battery and were only turning on the car once a week to move it to the other side of the street because of a busy schedule.

Right now, the car does not longer turn on. Yesterday, I tried turning on the car with a jump start from another car, and it did turn on. But as soon as I disconnected the cables, the car turn off.

Appreciate your advice/help on what might be going on.

THANKS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Car Not Starting/Turning Off - Need Advice

The charging system may have failed. Also, after starting the engine, the charging system needs several minutes (15 to 30 minutes) to replenish the battery charge. Frequent starts without enough run time will deplete the battery.

The new battery may not have been fully charged and soon ran down with frequent starts with short run times.

If the engine starts and runs while the shift lever is in park, and then kills when the shift lever is moved to reverse, suspect a broken ground strap. If you smell a hot wiring smell after the engine runs for a minute of two, shut off immediately. When a ground strap is broken, the ignition may complete its circuit through the park-neutral switch, and this circuit may be overloaded. When the shift lever is moved out of park or neutral, the park/neutral switch opens and shuts off the ignition.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here