Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2008 Accord

Posted by satine (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 08 at 10:56

Hi. Im new here and hope some of the experts here can help me. I have a 2008 V4 Accord which I have had about a month. The headlights "flicker" or dim and I am now aware that this is the case for all V4s. I have returned to the dealer and the car is scheduled to have a new alternator put in on Tuesday. They have assured me that they have been trouble shooting the problem and that this is the answer. I am less than convinced. Of course I am upset about this because the knew about the problem when I purchased the car (my first ever new car and first Honda) I guess I am hoping to hear that in fact it is the alternator and all will be well after the replacement. What do you think? Thanks. Satine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2008 Accord

It's difficult to comment on a 2008 model year vehicle. The downside of a warranty is that in the aftermarket we don't see the cars for repairs for a few years. Now having said that, headlights flickering especially at idle can be caused by a system voltage fluctuation, which is something that is commonly controlled be the system voltage regulator. The voltage regulator could be inside the alternator, and it also could be inside the fuel injection computer.

It is otherwise a wasted effort to speculate on the problem, it's under warranty, they will deal with it. But remember this, a car is not an appliance it is tens of thousands of pieces, and today most cars are nothing short of robotics.

One other detail, you are "assuming" they knew the car had the problem when they sold it. That is really not the case, and never is. If they knew it had an issue, it would have not been available for sale because of exactly the way you have reacted. The facts are, some vehicles may exhibit a certain problem such a this headlight flicker, most will not even though they are otherwise identical to us.

o
RE: 2008 Accord

john g, thank you for your response. I took my car in this am to the dealer and will see if they in fact have a handle on what is causing the problem. Just google "2008 accord headlights" and you will see many folks with 2008 v4 accords with the identical problem. The problem occurs while driving which is my main concern. I live in the DC area with lots of freeways and trucks-don't want the truck drivers to mistake my flickering lights for an "ok to pull in" signal. I find it hard to believe that Honda was not made aware of this problem before now since the 2008s were on the market as of at least October of 2007. Just hoping that the issue will be resolved today. Thanks again for your response. Satine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here