SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitchencrazychris

Dealer can't find why truck is losing power . . frustrated !!!

kitchencrazychris
17 years ago

My son has a 2004 Dodge Dakota, bought last year from a reputable dealer, certified pre-owned. He has had way too many problems with it, and is so fed up with it. Latest problem has to do with power, or lack of . . .

Started last week on his way home from work. Couldn't get it much past 40 mph . . pedal to the metal, and not much of anything . . . Drove it a couple of times over the weekend . . did okay on a straight stretch, but put any bit of incline into it, and the power was gone. We took it to the service dept. of a Dodge dealership, where it's been way too many times already !! The service rep called me yesterday afternoon saying nothing was wrong with it, that they'd hooked it up to all the diagnostic tests or whatever, and it all checked out fine. I asked if they'd driven it on the freeway, on hills, etc. The guy said that they had. I told him that SOMETHING was wrong with it, that I didn't feel safe with my son driving it until they figured out what was wrong . I asked him if they checked the fuel lines, etc. .. they had. He said they could keep it another day, and drive it when it was cold (which I can't imagine how they didn't do that yesterday !!) . . I told him that every time my son had driven the truck since he first noticed the problem, that the problem had happened. I'd been with him on one of the occasions, and from the passenger side, was aware of a problem. We're VERY frustrated at this point. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?? something I could tell the service reps to look for??? I posted on this forum before when there were major brake squeak problems, and got some really good advice, so am hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on this !!

My son is to the point that he is ready to cut his losses, and get a new Tacoma . . although he really does like the Dakota . . . It's just a crummy situation . . . first truck, half of it being paid for my my son . .

I feel so bad for him . . . he's such a responsible kid, money-wise and everything else . . . I hate to see him losing money . . . but it seems like that's going to happen no matter what we decide to do with the Dakota . .

He needs a truck . . for school and work, so the truck has to be reliable . . .

Anyway, appreciate so much any advice you might have re: the saga of the truck !!!!

TIA !!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County