Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Malibu - Chaning Fuel Pump

Posted by asdf123 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 30, 09 at 9:48

Hi, I have a 2003 Chevy Malibu and I need to change the fuel pump.

First thing is I need to drain the fuel tank, and I have been told that siphoning is not possible due to there being a siphon block. I was wondering what the best way would be to do this.

I am hoping I could get instructions/diagrams outlining the steps involved with removing the fuel and changing the pump with connections and everything.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Malibu - Chaning Fuel Pump

I would only advise this repair be performed by trained personnel. Even pro's can get it wrong and accidents often result in a fire that can destroy the building (your home or garage), and have the potential for causing serious injury, even death.

Now sure someone is going to exclaim their ability to have done this repair successfully, and attempt to play down my opinion. However trying and succeeding one or two times without proper training or tools really only means they were lucky, and given enough chances, their luck just could run out. JMHO.

o

i notice on these websites someone will ask a technical question and the answer will be to take it somewhere to have the work done. that does not answer the original question. maybe a better answer would be some technical details and than add at the end to take it to a shop if you don't feel qualified. so is there a drain on this model malibu? can the fuel pump be removed from the top such as on some dodge models? does the tank have to be dropped to remove the fuel pump? so how does a shop remove a full fuel tank? carefully lower it?

o

Hi Joe. Many times the correct answer IS leave it to a pro, not always, but more often than not. Now you are correct, it does not answer the OP's question. My answer served to start this post moving, and provided sound reasoning why it's not prudent to answer his question. Answering his question could give him enough information that he might attempt this dangerous repair. The qualifier, of whether he thinks he is capable or not might sound good from your position at the moment. Being the person that possesses the information he seeks (among others) and my not knowing if he is sufficiently skilled, and equipped to attempt to do this safely it would be irresponsible for me to explain this routine. JMHO. I would not give this repair to a technician that has less than four years experience. Even then he/she would be directly supervised and personally instructed in the steps required to perform this repair in a safe manner.

There is no drain for the fuel tank.

There is no access through the floor, the tank must be lowered from the vehicle.

The fuel is removed with specific equipment and considerable care to allow the fuel to be stored with no loss of liquid, and very little vapor leakage.

There is a special adapter that fastens to the shops transmission jack, which allows fuel tanks to be strapped securely to the jack to prevent slipping and tipping. One common mistake people make is the kind of lighting they use to allow them to see while servicing a fuel system. Drop lights, that use incandescent bulbs are the most common ignition source when a fuel spill occurs. First you have a fuel spill which sets the table with a sufficient load of fuel vapors, and then true to it's name the light drops and the bulb breaks which allows the hot filament to ignite the fuel vapors in a violent explosion. This has resulted in loss of life, serious injuries, and extensive damages to businesses garages, and homes. If you want to enable the O.P. to place himself at risk of a catastrophe, for the sake of a few hundred bucks, then go right ahead.

o

i agree dealing with a full gas tank is very dangerous. why most car makers do not design in access panels for fuel pumps is a mystery. most fwd cars have the tank centrally located. either under the rear seat or slightly behind it. changing an in-tank pump is awkward at best.

a safe answer would start out with "danger" extremely hazardous if you are not qualified. gas fumes are dangerous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here