Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
98 pontiac grand am se HELP!!

Posted by angel123 (pop741.1@netzero.com) on
Mon, Aug 22, 05 at 9:46

Having trouble with my car. When it is on a red light or stop sign it likes chokes like its not giving fuel. I tap the gas pedal and it goes. I took it to the shop a couple of months ago to a merchanic and he said it was the Egr valve. He cleaned it it looked dirty. So he said, If it gave me more problems that i would have to replace it and buy a new one. Is this mechanic saying the truth about my car. Whats wrong with my car?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 98 pontiac grand am se HELP!!

I have no idea what's wrong with your car. An egr valve sticking open will cause poor idling, and tapping the accelerator can sometimes get a sticking egr valve to close. EGR valves do accumulate carbon in them. The mechanic could be right on the money. Could be something else too. Why didn't he replace it in the first place if he thought that's what it was?

o
RE: 98 Pontiac grand am se HELP!!

I think we have a good mechanic here - one willing to clean, rather than replace.
He is doing the right thing.
Does the Pontiac use any kind of idle air control ?
Another item to clean and oil...

o
RE: 98 pontiac grand am se HELP!!

Earthworm, I have no idea if it has the idle air control. I have a 4 cylinder 2.4 engine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here