SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abonelady

Reset 'Mait Req'd' on Toyota Camry

bonelady
17 years ago

My 2006 Camry has a Mait Req'd light that goes on when an oil change is due. The book says to reset the signal after each change by turning the key from off or accessory to on, while pushing the odomoter reset button.

I can walk and chew gum at the same time, but can't seem to get this operation to work !

Has anyone figured it out?

Comments (12)

• machiem
    17 years ago

I have the same light on my 4-runner.

Re-read the instructions and follow them exactly. The most important part is to have the odometer in the "odometer" setting, not on trip A or trip B. Then turn the key while pushing the reset button. Keep pushing until the light blinks and then turns off. Then you can let go.

It's quite easy.

• bonelady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Do you keep pushiung the button after you turn the key to ON? I may just have to stop by the Toyota dealer. I have been trying to get this to happpen for almost 2,500 miles!

• machiem
    17 years ago

If the manual and my post are too hard to follow, you should take it to the dealer.

They can turn it off in about 5 seconds.

Ask them to show you how it's done because your 1/2 way to your next oil change.

• sdello
    17 years ago

From machiem's instructions (and having no familiarity with this) I get that the sequence is as follows:

1) Make sure your display is on "odometer" not on a trip setting.
    2) Push and hold the reset button
    3) Turn the key to the ON postion (while continuing to hold the reset button).
    4) Watch for the light to blink and then go out.
    5) release the reset button

done.

Is this corect?

• machiem
    17 years ago

That's exactly it, assuming it's the same and I don't know why it wouldn't be.

Below are the instructions from my manual. The reference to a certain page won't be the same for your vehicle's manual.

You need to reset the light after the engine oil replacement. Reset the light by following the procedure below:

1. Turn the key to the "ACC" or "LOCK" position with the odometer reading shown. (For details, see "Odometer and two trip meters" on page 138 in this Section).

2. Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position while holding the trip meter reset button.

Hold down the button until the light goes off. Before the light goes off, it illuminates for 3 seconds, flashes for 2 seconds and illuminates for 1 second.

If the system fails to reset, the light will remain flashing.

• bonelady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Can not get it to reset. I will have to make a trip to the dealer

• jemdandy
    17 years ago

Can't turn off the "required maintence" light. Could it be that it is signaling something other than an oil change? Maybe the oxygen sensor.

• machiem
    17 years ago

For those without a Toyota, this light should have been called an "oil change indicator" rather than a maintenance light. This light is turned on by the miles on the odometer.

There is a different "check engine" light associated with engine error codes.

• bonelady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone for trying to help me. For a while I thought I really had a problem - not being able to push a button and turn a key at the same time!

I stopped by the dealer and they found a small problem with the switch that they fixed in 10 minutes.

I was glad to know it wasn't me!

• sdello
    17 years ago

Glad to hear it. Sometimes, simple things really get you questioning your own sanity.

• machiem
    17 years ago

Thanks for the follow-up.

I was wondering why you couldn't get it to work.

• byansmith
    13 years ago

This it the problem when the car runs too much on digital instruments! Unlike to old school cars you just need to push the odometer reset then it's back to zero.

Here is a link that might be useful: toyota parts replacement

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH