Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honda Odyssey electrical question

Posted by catherinet (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 14, 06 at 9:12

Hi all,
I have a 2001 Odyssey. My front intermittent wiper and wiper fluid isn't working, nor is my rear wiper and fluid. I've checked the fuses, and the "front wiper" fuse was blown, and I replaced it. However, it didn't help any of the problems. I talked with the Honda service dept, and he said there wasn't anything else to do, but to bring it in.
Any ideas of what I might do to get this working again, without a visit to Honda? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honda Odyssey electrical question

Do you have a test light, or a multimeter ?
There is a reason that fuse blew , find out why..
And you may need the manual and the electrical schematic...

o

Thanks earthworm,
I think it's time to take it in. We found another blown fuse to the rear wiper (wasn't blown this morning). Replaced it and it blew again. Now the windows won't open, and their fuses are in another compartment. Bummer.
I hope I can still drive it without anymore bad things happening.

o

It sounds to me like one of the wiper assemblies (the front one , seems like) is shorting and blowing out the whole circuit.

Get an auto electrician (or someone else who can) to check the wiper assemblies. It is not unusual for them to give trouble.

Also, sometimes water from a split washer tank can short out the motor on the pump underneath the tank.

o

THanks John,
I'm taking it it tomorrow. I'll let you know what showed up.

o

Just got back from the the Honda service department. It was the washer motor.....it had gotten "smashed". I asked the guy how the heck this happens, and he said it's very close to the bottom of the front of the car, under the hood, and it might have gotten whacked from below somehow. Was going to explain this to me further, but didn't. Anyhow.....the intermittents and washer on the front are on the same circuit as the back, which is why none of it was working. The regular wipers on the front were still working.......so maybe they do that as a precaution of when something like this happens, you'll still have some wiper left.

o

Just a washer motor ? Well, if anything is mounted low, in harms way - nothing better than a non-essential.
But the unit should have its own fuse...I hope the repair cost was not too high...

o

Hi earthworm,
It only cost $118 to replace the motor.......but I also had a 112,500 mile service, front and back brake pads, and front rotors. Unfortunately......it came to about $955.
I guess I can't complain, I really haven't had to put much into this car for 6 years......just routine maintenence. And this place is totally honest and reputable......which is a very nice change from the Volvo place I used to go to.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here